PDA

Forum : History of the Shinto Muso Ryu



FuManchu
12-10-2010, 05:17 PM
History of the Shinto Muso Ryu
The Shinto Muso Ryu was founded nearly 400 years ago in about 1605. The founder, Muso Gonnosuke Katsukichi was a warrior who first trained in the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu founded by Iizasa Choisai Ienao. In this, Muso Gonnosuke received the rank of Menkyo, a teaching license.

According to legend, Muso Gonnosuke had gone to Edo early in the Keicho period (1596-1614). There he matched his sword against many famous swordsmen but was never defeated. One day, however, he fought Miyamoto Musashi, perhaps the best known warrior in Japanese History. Gonnosuke knew he had met his match when he found he could not escape from Musashis Jujidome technique. This movement was the secret of Musashis Niten Ichi Ryu and involves locking the opponents weapon in an X-shaped block using the Samurais long and short swords in combination.

Because of his defeat, Gonnosuke travelled around the country and studied many different styles of martial arts, determined to become strong enough to overcome Musashis Jujidome. After several years, he arrived in the province of Chikuzen and stopped at a town which is now called Dazaifu City, in Fukuoka Prefecture, on the Island of Kyushu. There he confined himself for 37 days in the Kamado Shrine on Mount Homan. One night he had a dream in which a divine messenger appeared in the form of a child and told him to “know the solar plexus with a round stick”. Keeping this heaven-sent message in mind, Gonnosuke devised a new weapon. It was a simple stick approximately 30 cm longer than the average Japanese sword. Musos stick was 128 cm long (4 Shaku, 2 Sun, 1 Bu) and 26 mm in diameter (8 Bu). Today, we call it the Jo (or Tsue).

Gonnosuke went on to develop techniques for his stick based on his previous experience with a variety of older weapons. He incorporated the thrusting movements of the spear (Yari or Sojutsu), the sweeping movements of the halberd (Naginata or Naginatajutsu), and the striking movements of the staff (Bo or Bojutsu) and the sword (Tachi or Kenjutsu). With this new weapon and its techniques, the art of Jojutsu was born. The legend says that Gonnosuke went back to confront Musashi again and emerged victorious, overcoming Jujidome and inflicting the only defeat ever said to have been suffered by the legendary Musashi. Muso Gonnosukes growing reputation brought him to the attention of the Kuroda Clan in Fukuoka, and he was retained to instruct Jojutsu to the warriors under its control.

Over the course of his life, Gonnosuke eventually awarded teaching licenses to more than ten of these warriors. They and their successors carried on the tradition within the land of the Kuroda family, who jealously guarded the art as a secret Clan tradition.

By the end of the Tokugawa period (1603-1868), it is said that there were two dojo in the Kuroda area. One was run by the Hirano family, under the 15th Headmaster; the other was operated by the Hamachi family, under a man usually regarded as the 18th Headmaster.

After the Meiji Restoration, permission was given to teach Jojutsu outside the domain of the Clan in 1872. By the early 1900s, Uchida Ryogoro was teaching this art in Tokyo. Among his students were Uchida Ryohei, (his second son), Nakayama Hakudo (famous kendo and iaido Master and an admiral of the Japanese Imperial Navy) and a Kabuki actor named Morita Kanya.

Back at the headquarters in Fukuoka, Shiraishi Hanjiro Shigeaki, called the 24th generation Headmaster of the art, continued to teach jojutsu until his death on March 1, 1927. After that, jojutsu was taught by his high-ranking students: Takayama Kiroku, Shimizu Takaji, and Otofuji Ichizo.

Shimizu came to Tokyo in 1927 and began to teach jojutsu under the sponsorship of two influential men, Toyama Mitsuru and Suenaga Setsu. He made the Toyama Dojo his base and travelled widely, teaching such groups as the Metropolitan Police Department, the Kobudo Research Group run at the Kodokan Judo Headquarters under the encouragement of Kano Jigoro, and other groups in various local areas nationwide, including Sea Scouts. He also instructed in Manchuria after the area came under Japanese control in the early 1930s. Some time after the death of his Teacher Shiraishi, Shimizu became head of the Dai Nihon Jodokai which officially altered the Ryumei (name of the Tradition) from Jojutsu to Jodo in 1940.

When defeat in the Second World War brought a ban on all martial activities, jodo followed the route of other arts, disappearing for a time, to be gradually revived later. Public demonstrations began again around 1955. The All Japan Jodo Federation was established in 1955 by Toyama Izumi. By this time, Shimizu seems to have been recognized as the 25th Headmaster of the Ryu. In the 1960s, jodo was recognized by the All Japan Kendo Federation which set up an expert committee mainly composed of Shimizu Sensei and Otofuji Sensei. The goal was to devise ways of spreading jodo around Japan. Specifically, the giant organization was looking for a form of stick art suitable as a cognate study of kendo trainees. Finally, in 1968, the All Japan Kendo Federation section of jodo introduced their “Seiteigata” forms. The twelve kata in the kendo system of stick are taken from the first three levels of the Shinto Muso Ryu and are considered to be representative of the techniques of this tradition. Small, yet significant changes were made, the most outstanding one being a much more frontal position.

Shimizu Sensei died in 1978 without naming a successor. Many of his students around the Tokyo district carried on the art as he had taught them. Kaminoda Sensei continued to teach in a dojo very close to Shimizu Senseis house, in the Shibuya area, as well as at the Dai-Yon Kidotai in Yotsuya. Yoneno Sensei and Hiroi Sensei continue to give impressive demonstrations together, Kuroda Sensei passed away in January 2000, and Nishioka Sensei is teaching to a group of some 15 to 20 students in Hino, at the Mitsuyama Dojo. Meanwhile, in Kyushu, other senior students were also teaching. Eventually, Otofuji Ichizo took over the role of Headmaster on the strength of his position as the senior surviving disciple of Shiraishi Hanjiro.

Considering that the History of Shinto Muso Ryu Jo would become actuality if recent developments were examined here, we shall close this chapter now, but not without reminding all the readers that it is thanks to the extraordinary open-mindedness of Shimizu Sensei and the impressive investment of Donn F. Draeger Sensei that Jodo and its extremely rich system of education is nowadays available to us all.

original source:http://www.fej.ch/

alobar
12-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Ωραιο ποστ,μας λειπει λιγη ιστορια...

FuManchu
12-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Thank you.